Apply to licence taxi or private hire vehicle
To drive a private hire or taxi (Hackney carriage) vehicle, you will need to license the vehicle you intend to use.
If you prefer, you can register and apply online for a vehicle licence.
You will also need to:
- pay the appropriate licence fee
- read the guidance notes (pdf 240KB) on Hackney carriage and private hire vehicle licences
Conditions apply to both Hackney carriage and private hire vehicles. There are also specific additional conditions for both types of vehicle.
- General conditions for Hackney carriages and private hire vehicles (pdf 134KB)
- Hackney vehicle conditions (pdf 131KB)
- Private hire vehicle conditions (pdf 123KB)
- Request a replacement plate (pdf 67KB)
- Transfer the ownership of a Hackney carriage vehicle (pdf 240KB)
You can also apply for a transfer online.
If you have a vehicle licence, you may find these following forms also useful:
- Accident reporting form (pdf 17KB)
- Change of address form (Word 54KB)
- Hackney carriage/private hire vehicle inspection form (pdf 50KB)