Skip to content


To drive a private hire or taxi (Hackney carriage) vehicle, you will need to license the vehicle you intend to use. 

Apply for a Hackney carriage/private hire vehicle licence - “an alternative format is available, to request a copy please email

You will also need to: 

  • pay the appropriate licence fee 
  • read the guidance notes (pdf 240KB) on Hackney carriage and private hire vehicle licences


Conditions apply to both Hackney carriage and private hire vehicles. There are also specific additional conditions for both types of vehicle.

Other information

You can also apply for a transfer online.

If you have a vehicle licence, you may find these following forms also useful: