Protected Trees and High Hedges

Information about protected trees and apply to carry out work on a protected tree, file complaint about high hedges

Trees can either be protected by a tree preservation order (TPO) or because they are within a conservation area. If this is the case, you need permission from the council before you can carry out any work.

Apply to carry out work to a protected tree

Use our mapping tool to see if a tree is protected. You can download a copy of the order from here.

High Hedge Complaint

Any hedges that are within the boundary of your own property are your responsibility. Although there is no legislation that limits the height of any hedge, If a hedge does adversely affect the owners/occupiers of an adjoining domestic property then they may be within their right to take action through the High Hedges complaints system introduced by the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003.

High Hedge Complaint Form

When making a complaint about a hedge, please also ensure you have read the following: