What is self-build housing?
Self-build - where you organise and design the construction of your own home. You then need to choose how; listed below are some of the options available to you:
- self-build one-off home: you manage the design and construction process and are physically involved in part or all of the construction of your home
- contractor built one-off home: you manage the design process and appoint a contractor to build the home to your specification
- kit home: you select your preferred kit home and possibly establish the foundations. The kit home company then erects the home
- independent community collaboration: you work with others to acquire a site to split into plots then organize the design and construction of your own home
- supported community self-build group: a social landlord helps you build a group of homes together
Custom build – where you work with a specialist developer to deliver your own home. There are also different options available with this method as follows:
- developer built one-off home: a developer builds a single home that the self builder completes
- developer led group project: a developer will organise a group and builds the homes that the self builder completes
More information about community self-build projects and the options available can be found on the myCommunity website.