Grass cutting, hedges and trees

Report overgrown grass, hedges or trees

You can use our mapping tool to find out who is responsible for the land in question before proceeding to contact the relevant officer. Use the Grounds Maintenance filter on the right to highlight these areas and the authorities responsible as represented by the coloured keys.

Nesting Season

Nesting season runs from March-September. During these months, we try to keep any maintenance work on hedges, shrubs or trees to a minimum.


Devon County Council are responsible for the grounds maintenance of roadside verges and trees. You can report it online to Devon County Council. Click on their map to select the location and report the problem. North Devon Council do not maintain roadside areas.

The Parks team is responsible for monitoring the grass cutting, hedge trimming, tree management and shrub maintenance on North Devon Council-owned land, including parks, some sports pitches and pockets of open space around the district. If you want to contact us about overgrown grass, trees, shrubs or hedges on our land you can use the following methods below.

Any hedges that are within the boundary of your own property are your responsibility. Although there is no legislation that limits the height of any hedge, If a hedge does adversely affect the owners/occupiers of an adjoining domestic property then they may be within their right to take action through the High Hedges complaints system introduced by the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003. To find out more, please visit our 'Protected Trees and High Hedges' webpage.

Tree Management

It is not within the Council's policy to trim trees unless they are dead, dying or dangerous. If you think you have found a tree on our land that is dead, dying or dangerous, please report it to us.

If a tree is within the boundary of your property, the council is not responsible for maintaining it. It is your responsibility to check if any tree within your property is covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO).

Report It

If your query relates to grounds maintenance that is on the roadside, you can report it to Devon County Council online by clicking here or email them at

If your query relates to grounds maintenance that is on North Devon Council-owned land, you can report it online via the button below.

Report an issue on North Devon Council owned land