Discounts, exemptions and support

Find out if you are eligible for a discount or help with paying your bill

Single person's discount

Your council tax is based on at least two adults living in a property.

If you are the only person over the age of 18 years living in your property, you are entitled to a 25% discount on your council tax bill.

You must tell us if you no longer qualify for a single person discount ie. if someone over the age of 18 years moves into your property with you.

Apply for or cancel a single person Council Tax discount  

Empty property discount

Empty, unfurnished properties are eligible for a discount for up to three months. After this period the full amount of Council Tax becomes payable.

Properties which remain empty and unfurnished will be charged an empty property premium as a percentage of their Council Tax payment:

  • Empty and unfurnished for two years - 200% will be charged of the normal liability
  • Empty and unfurnished for five years - 300% will be charged of the normal liability
  • Empty and unfurnished for ten years - 400% will be charged of the normal liability

Apply for an empty property Council Tax discount 

It is important you tell us if you furnish your property

Report a home is no longer unfurnished

Pension aged customers

There are no reductions for pensioners unless you receive council tax support.

People on council tax support

If you are of working age and get Council Tax Support, you have to pay at least 25% of your council tax bill. Pension aged customers who get council tax support aren’t affected.

Discounts for people who aren't counted

Certain people aren't counted when working out the number of adults who live in your home, therefore your bill could be reduced.  For example, full time students, apprentices, carers and severely mentally impaired.

Apply for student Council Tax reduction

Apply for carer's Council Tax reduction

Apply for apprentice's Council Tax reduction

Apply for Council Tax severe mental impairment reduction

Reductions for disabilities

If there is a room or other extra space in your property that is needed by a disabled person, you may get a reduction in your council tax. The reduction works out as being the next level down in the council tax band.

Apply for Council Tax disability reduction

Second homes discount

There is no reduction for second homes.

Other exemptions

Some properties may be exempt from council tax or exempt for up to six months and are listed below:

Occupied properties

Empty properties

  • owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • left empty by someone who is now in prison
  • left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care in a hospital or a home
  • repossessed properties (in possession of the mortgage company)
  • waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (and for up to six months after)
  • the responsibility of a trustee in bankruptcy
  • empty because the law has said it must not be lived in
  • waiting to be lived in by a minister of religion
  • left empty by students who live elsewhere to carry out their course
  • unable to be let separately because they are part of a main property or there is a planning restriction

Contact us to claim an Council Tax Empty property exemption