Horse drawn hackney carriage licences
To drive a non-motorised Hackney carriage (horse-drawn), you do need a licence.
Renew/apply for VEHICLE licence (pdf 27KB)
Apply for a new DRIVER licence (pdf 92KB)
You will also need to:
- pay the appropriate licence fee
- read the guidance notes (pdf 185KB) on horse-drawn Hackney carriage licences
There are various conditions linked to the granting of a horse drawn Hackney carriage licence, relating to both the driver and the non-motorised vehicle. These are included in the guidance notes.
- Horse veterinary form (pdf 18KB)
- Horse drawn carriage inspection form (pdf 124KB)
- Notification of change of address (word 54KB)
- Department for Transport Code of Practice for horse-drawn vehicles (pdf 32KB)
- You can find further information under section 12 and Appendix Q of the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy