Apply to be taxi or private hire driver
You need a licence if you intend to drive a vehicle as a taxi (referred to by law and on this website as a 'hackney carriage', which is a vehicle booked in advance, hailed from the street or hired from a taxi rank) or private hire (booked in advance only).
Renew a Hackney carriage/private hire driver licence (pdf 432 KB)
You will also need to:
- pay the appropriate licence fee
- read the guidance notes (pdf 81KB) and step by step guide (pdf 416kb) on applying for a hackney carriage and private hire drivers licence and make sure you meet all the criteria
To be considered for a new private hire or hackney carriage driver licence, you will need to sit a written multiple choice test.
No conditions are attached to a hackney carriage driver licence. However, there are private hire driver conditions (pdf 11KB).
All drivers are expected to comply with a Code of Good Conduct. We also have an adopted dress code for licensed drivers. These can be found under Appendix C and D of the hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy.
- Notification of change of address
- Medical certificate form (pdf 145KB)
- Diabetes self certification form (pdf 19KB)
- Issues surrounding vulnerable persons (pdf 227KB)
- Request a replacement badge (pdf 67KB)