Apply for a new premises licence
To apply for a premises licence, you must be aged 18 or over, with a view to operate a business at a premises (including open air) for any licensable activity. This can either be on a permanent basis or a time-limited period.
You will also need to:
- pay the appropriate fee
- provide an operating schedule (word 15KB)
- provide a plan of the premises
- if alcohol is to be sold, give the name of the designated premises supervisor
- confirm that the application has, at the same time, been served to the appropriate responsible authorities
- read the guidance notes on new premises licences (pdf 211KB)
If your application is for a substantial event or your event involves specific risk factors (waterside location, fire works, processions etc.) then you should notify North Devon’s Safety Advisory Group in order to gain safety advice in relation to your proposal. If in doubt we suggest that you read the guidance notes on the Safety Advisory Group’s website.
There are mandatory conditions (pdf 113KB) that are imposed on premises licences or club premises certificates. The Home Office has produced guidance for alcohol suppliers to help the trade to implement these conditions.
Home Delivery of Alcohol
Devon, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards are offering the “No Proof of Age No Sale” (NPOANS) toolkit free to all businesses in Devon that sell age restricted products including the home delivery of alcohol. This is an interactive online toolkit run by Trading Standards South West which can be tailored to meet individual businesses needs to assist in preventing underage sales.
To subscribe please go to:
or telephone: 01726 218768
- List of responsible authorities (pdf 30KB)
- Suggested format for public notice in a newspaper (word 25KB)
- Pool of Conditions (pdf 300 KB)