Scrap metal dealer licences
A scrap metal dealer or motor salvage operator must have a licence to trade. If you do not have a licence, it is illegal for you to trade.
There are two types of licence:
- A Site Licence - allows you to trade as a scrap metal dealer at any site, or multiple sites, in North Devon
- A Collector's Licence - allows you to trade as a mobile collector and sell or dispose of metal (including salvageable vehicle parts) within the North Devon area only
Apply for a scrap metal dealer licence (pdf 666KB)
If you prefer, you can register and apply online for a scrap metal dealer licence.
To apply, you will also need to:
- read our guidelines on scrap metal dealer licences (pdf 260KB)
- pay the appropriate application fee
- have relevant documents to hand, as highlighted in the application form, such as photographic ID and basic disclosure
Apply for a Basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check. Please note, that there is an additional £18 application fee for this
Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (pdf 212KB)
- The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (Prescribed Relevant Offences and Relevant Enforcement Action) Regulations 2013 (pdf 23 KB)