Improvement relief

Information about improvement relief

If you make certain improvements to your property, you may get relief from higher business rates bills. 

You do not need to apply for improvement relief or do anything differently. If you meet the necessary requirements, your council will apply the relief to your bills. 

You can find out more about which improvements are eligible by going to GOV.UK and searching ‘business rates reliefs’.

If you have questions about a certificate of qualifying works, please contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) at the email address on your certificate. 

Please note that the VOA cannot answer queries about the occupation condition or your business rates bill.