The Local List
The planning portal provides details of mandatory information that you need to include with your application. Our Local List shows what information you will need to provide for a valid planning application in the North Devon district.
This Local List replaces all earlier editions and has been updated to take account of experience gained by us, applicants and agents whilst using earlier editions, legislation and guidance published by central government.
Reading the list for your project before submitting an application means we will have all the information we need for your project right from the start and means we may be able to determine your application quicker.
This Local List has been broken down into the following sections:
• householder planning consent
• householder planning and listed building consent
• planning permission (full and change of use)
• planning permission and listed building consent
• outline planning permission with all matters reserved
• approval of reserved matters following outline approval
• relevant demolition in a conservation area
• removal or variation of condition (s) following grant of planning permission
• lawful development certificate for an existing use, operation or activity
• lawful development certificate for a proposed use or development
• advertisement consent
• listed building consent
• approval of details reserved by condition (discharge of condition)
• prior notification - agricultural or forestry
• notification for prior approval for a proposed change of use under part 3 of The General Permitted Development Order 2015
• prior notification of proposed development by telecommunications code system operators
• works to trees covered by a tree preservation order
• notification of works to trees in a conservation area
• non-material amendment
• prior approval of a larger home extension
Failure to submit the information required is likely to result in an application being treated as invalid under the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015.
If you would like advice about your project before you start we also offer a pre-application advice service.
Applications can be:
• submitted electronically through the Planning Portal (all drawings and supporting documents submitted electronically must be in PDF format)
• posted to North Devon Council, PO Box 379, Barnstaple, EX32 2GR
• hand-delivered to our office or community office
Our aim is to determine whether an application is valid within five working days from the date of receipt (or 10 working days in the case of a major application). All applications received by 5pm will be dated that day.
The date a valid application is received is the start date. This is day 0 - the statutory period for determination then. Upon registration of a valid application an acknowledgement letter will be sent to the applicant or agent.
When an application is registered all plans and documents will be linked to the planning pages of our website. Only supporting documents that are clearly marked as ‘confidential’ will not be placed on our website or in a folder that the public may view. Please complete the Commercially Sensitive/Confidential Material form to indicate documents that are not to be placed in the public domain.