Skip to content

This form should be used for proposals to alter or enlarge a single dwelling, including works within the boundary/garden of a dwelling. It should be used for projects such as:

• extensions
• conservatories
• loft conversions
• dormer windows
• garages, car ports and outbuildings

Please note that planning permission is not needed for all household building work. Under permitted development rules you can carry out a number of household building work projects, provided they meet certain limits and conditions. You can find out whether you need planning permission for your building project by viewing the Planning Portal's interactive house.

The following items are needed for all applications

• Application form and ownership certificate
• Location plan (scale 1:2500 or 1:1250) with site outlined in red
• Block plan (scale 1:500) or site plan (scale 1:200) – if the proposal will alter an existing building footprint or create a new building footprint
• Site levels (scale 1:200) – if the proposal will lead to a change in the level of the land
• Floor plans – existing and proposed (scale 1:50 or 1:100) – if the proposal will create, alter or add to a floor
• Elevation drawings – existing and proposed (scale 1:50 or 1:100) – if the proposal will create, alter or add to a building
• Cross section drawings through building – existing and proposed (scale 1:50 or 1:100) – if the proposal is for a loft conversion
• Heritage statement (including photographs and a schedule of works) – if the proposal will affect a heritage asset or listed building
• Wildlife trigger list and, if required, wildlife report
• Flood risk assessment – if the proposal falls within flood zone two or flood zone three
• Surface water drainage report – if the proposal is in a critical drainage area
• Letter of justification from the relative’s doctor (or other appropriate person) – if the proposal relates to the creation of a dependent relative’s ancillary accommodation
• Foul drainage assessment – if the proposal involves non-mains drainage

Further information about this type of application is available on the Planning Portal.