New app to help residents support local businesses
11 August 2021
A new app that aims to encourage people to continue supporting local businesses and show off the highlights of the area to potential visitors is to be launched in September in northern Devon - and businesses will soon be contacted about being part of it.
The Dscvr (pronounced 'discover') app is to be launched by both North Devon and Torridge councils, seizing on the enthusiasm shown by residents to support local businesses during the pandemic. The app showcases businesses, events and promotions in the area and is being rolled out in towns across the region for both locals and visitors.
Both councils are asking local businesses to be aware they should expect to be contacted by the Dscvr team in the coming weeks with regards to featuring on the app for free. If in any doubt that the contact is genuine, they can speak to their local council or have a look at council websites to check.
The app will help businesses to promote their offer, and is expected to drive more footfall into the area. It will enable locals and visitors to make the most of everything the region has to offer, from town centres to walking trails, beaches to events.
Lead Member for Economic Development and Regeneration at North Devon Council, Councillor Malcolm Prowse says: "We are really excited about this app, which will help us continue supporting local businesses back to health following the stresses and strains of COVID-19. We have worked hard during the pandemic to support local businesses with initiatives such as our Live Love Local campaign to encourage residents to continue shopping, buying and eating locally - whilst keeping themselves and others safe.
"The Dscvr app takes things one step further, offering a free platform for businesses to promote themselves directly to people's phones. It will be a great addition for residents and tourists, signposting them to places to eat, shop, enjoy leisure facilities and events - and take advantage of special offers."
Lead Member for Economic Regeneration at Torridge District Council, Councillor Bob Hicks says: “The Dscvr app will be another great platform through which businesses can promote themselves and at the same time help residents and tourists find places of interest, things to do, places to eat, more easily. Many of us carry our lives around on our phones these days, well now you can carry an area directory around with you as well, with search options and guides all at the touch of a button. Making the app free to register with is the icing on the cake and businesses should make sure they don’t miss out by having a closer look when contacted.”
The Dscvr app will have the following features:
- Local businesses can have their own page on the app to promote their business and highlight special offers, free of charge
- It helps people find places to eat and things to do
- Each town has its own area on the app meaning it can be tailored to each individual town in North Devon and Torridge
- It can identify people’s location so when they open the app, it will know where they are and will point them to the relevant town’s content but they will still be able to browse the other towns
- Local events and cultural and leisure facilities are highlighted and promoted for free
- It allows people to tailor their feed to what they want to hear about
- It will carry Covid safety messaging until it’s no longer needed
- It can send out push notifications if there’s a message that needs to be got out quickly like a major road closure for example
The Dscvr app is available on both android and IOS devices. More information is available on North Devon Council's website. The app is expected to launch in the early autumn.