Barnstaple pop up Covid-19 testing site operating until Monday 01 May 2020
The mobile coronavirus testing unit at the North Devon Leisure Centre car park on the Seven Brethren Industrial Estate will be operating from today (Friday 1 May 2020), right through the weekend and on Monday from around 8.30am until approximately 4pm, dependent on demand.
The facility is being managed by the Ministry of Defence and there will be approximately 8 to 12 military staff on site.
People eligible for testing are:
• all essential workers including NHS and social care workers with symptoms (see the full list of essential workers)
• anyone over 65 with symptoms
• anyone with symptoms whose work cannot be done from home (for example, construction workers, shop workers, emergency plumbers and delivery drivers)
• anyone who has symptoms of coronavirus and lives with any of those identified above
• social care workers and residents in care homes (with or without symptoms)
If you are eligible for a test and you or someone from your family is displaying symptoms of COVID-19 then you can book in for a test. Once you have your appointment confirmed, make sure you take a workplace form of identification eg. ID badge and you will be able to get tested.
This is a drive through facility although there is some capacity for walk ins. It's much easier if you come by car and please keep your windows up. Please take instructions upon arrival. This is a self-testing centre so there will be no medical practitioners on site to carry out the test. You must not arrive at the testing site without a scheduled appointment. To find out if you are eligible or book a test go to the government portal.
Current government guidance:
- Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)
- If you go out, stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people at all times
- Wash your hands as soon as you get home
- Do not meet others, even friends or family
Remember, you can spread the virus even if you don’t have symptoms.