Leisure and lifestyle COVID-19 - Update November 2020
Following the most recent official government guidance regarding Covid-19, the North Devon Leisure Centre, Tarka Tennis Centre and Ilfracombe Swimming Pool will temporarily close from Thursday 5 November until Wednesday 2 December.
Following a statement from Skateboard England, both Benricks Skatepark, Ilfracombe and Rock Park Skatepark, Barnstaple will also temporarily close from Thursday 5 November until Wednesday 2 December.
All of our parks and play areas will remain open to the public during the national lockdown and we urge any users to follow the safety signage which has been put up at these facilities.
Signage will be in place to remind users to:
- maintain social distancing
- wash their hands thoroughly before and after their visit
- take their own hand sanitiser wherever possible
- not to eat and drink whilst using play equipment
- dispose of litter in the bins provided
- be considerate of other park users and if any play area appears busy, to come back at a later time
As with all outdoor equipment that can be accessed by multiple people, play areas cannot be guaranteed to be free of COVID-19. Parents should supervise their children at all times and should take all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of themselves and their children while using the equipment.
The Tearooms at Bicclescombe Park will not be re-opening for the remainder of the year.
North Devon Council owns the following sports facilities:
- North Devon Leisure Centre, Barnstaple (pool, gym, sports hall, badminton, indoor bowls, squash, dojo, dance studio, cafe, soft play)
- Tarka Tennis Centre, Barnstaple (indoor and outdoor tennis, outdoor grass pitch and new outdoor artificial grass pitch, badminton, cafe)
- Ilfracombe Pool and Fitness Centre, Ilfracombe (pool and gym)
These facilities are managed by Parkwood Leisure on our behalf. If you have any comments about the facilities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not satisfied with your response from Parkwood, please email email@example.com.
Our leisure facilities have all re-opened now and the leisure centre and Tarka Tennis staff have been working hard behind the scenes to make sure that your next visit will be as safe as possible and have:
- Installed hand washing and sanitiser points for customer use
- Fitted protective barriers to protect staff
- Put in place an intensive ongoing sanitising programme on high contact surfaces
- Marked routes around building to encourage social distancing
- Reorganised the programme of activities
- All activities must be pre-booked, no walk-ins allowed
The centres are also asking all visitors to:
- avoid entering the building if you are showing any symptoms of COVID-19
- bring your own full drinks bottle as the water fountains are not available
- follow the signage around the centre
- bring your own exercise mat
- do not bring towels
- maintain social distancing at all times
- regularly wash or sanitise your hands
- sanitise equipment and areas when asked to do so
Parkwood Leisure has posted all the information online at https://www.leisurecentre.com. Search via postcode and choose the centre you want for full details of opening hours and reduced timetables.
The following facilities are private enterprises and are not owned or managed by North Devon Council: