Professional filming and photography on council land

Filming on NDC owned property

We are a film-friendly authority and try to make the process as simple as possible.

We do not issue permits to film in our district (on public land); however, we ask you do not cause any obstruction to members of the public or traffic.

For any filming on roads or highways you would need to speak with Devon County Council as they are the Highways authority for the county.

Usually, we like to know where and when you will be here, so we have someone available to help, if you need further assistance when you are here.

If you are filming on NDC property, filming rights are granted subject to the relevant production company submitting their public liability insurance, a risk assessment and a health and safety plan. Please upload via our online form or email them to

If you want to film on private property, you will need the landowner’s permission to do so.

Dependent on where you intend to film, you may want to advise the appropriate town or parish council, as a matter of courtesy. Also, if you intend to visit the beautiful Ilfracombe Harbour, we will need you to contact our Harbour Master directly.

Information about drone filming can be found here.

Many beaches in North Devon are privately owned, for a list of beaches and owner contact details, please visit our Beaches in North Devon page.

If you need permission to film on a highway or obtain a permit for parking on a highway, please contact Devon County Council.

For information about filming at Westward Ho! beach, please contact Torridge District Council.

Much of North Devon and Exmoor is privately owned, you can use our mapping tool to check to see whether we carry out grounds maintenance on an area which indicates that it is NDC property. The map also shows the district boundary line.

To use the mapping tool, find the area that you are interested in, then use the menu on the right hand side to select Grounds Maintenance Responsibility.


Contact Communications

If you need to find out who owns a particular piece of land, you can find out from The Land Registry.