A new temporary retail relief for the years 2019/20 and 2020/21 was introduced from 1 April 2019. The Government recognised that changing consumer behaviour presented a significant challenge for retails in our town centres and this relief was introduced with the intention of helping the high street evolve.
The temporary relief awarded one third discount to retail properties with a rateable value below £51,000. In the budget released on 11 March 2020, it was announced that this relief would increase to 100% as of 1 April 2020 and will also be extended to cinemas and music venues.
If you think you qualify for Retail Discount, please contact the business rates team online or call 01271 318574 or 388269.
The Coronavirus pandemic and expanded retail discount
All letters and revised bills in relation to the businesses being awarded the expanded retail discount have been sent out to eligible businesses.
Which properties will benefit from relief?
The letters and revised bills in relation to the businesses being awarded the expanded retail discount have been sent out to eligible businesses. Properties that will benefit from 100% retail discount are to include the following;
- shops (such as: florists, bakers, butchers, grocers, greengrocers, jewellers, stationers, off licences, chemists, newsagents, hardware stores, supermarkets, etc)
- charity shops
- non-local authority childcare providers
- post offices
- furnishing shops/ display rooms (such as: carpet shops, double glazing, garage doors)
- car/caravan show rooms
- second-hand car lots
- petrol stations
- garden centres
- art galleries (where art is for sale/hire)
- hair and beauty services (such as: hair dressers, nail bars, beauty salons, tanning shops, etc)
- shoe repairs/key cutting
- travel agents
- ticket offices eg. for theatre
- dry cleaners
- PC/TV/domestic appliance repair
- funeral directors
- photo processing
- tool hire
- car hire
- sandwich shops
- coffee shops
- live music venues
- sports grounds and clubs
- museums and art galleries
- sport and leisure facilities
- stately homes and historic houses
- tourist attractions
- public halls
- clubhouses, clubs and institutions
- hotels, Guest and Boarding Houses
- holiday homes
- caravan parks and sites
- estate agents
- lettings agencies
- bingo halls
The list set out above is not intended to be exhaustive.