Skip to content



Waste oil and oil tanks are considered to be hazardous waste, whether oil from home, cooking or engine. The tanks are from oil central heating systems in older houses. They will only usually need disposing of when the system is replaced with an alternative energy source such as gas. We would advise that often the best way to get rid of an unwanted oil tank is to advertise it in the small ads of a local paper. Household Waste recycling centres will not accept central heating oil tanks. They are not counted as normal Household Waste.


If the item is still usable, it could either be sold on or donated to a charity shop. Most electrical items have a symbol of a crossed-out wheelie bin on them - these items should not be sent to landfill. If the item is beyond repair we can offer a bulky waste collection service or you can take it to a recycling centre.

Tetra Paks

Tetra Paks are made up of a number of components which are layered: paperboard (made from wood), polyethylene (a type of plastic) and aluminium. Currently these are not accepted in your kerbside recycling service, but they can be recycled at your local recycling centre in one of their special collection banks.


Clothes and textiles can be put in your green bag for recycling. We can accept dry, undamaged clothes, undamaged shoes (in pairs) and undamaged blankets and bedding sheets

Please note, unfortunately we can't take wet or worn-out clothes and shoes. We also can't accept duvets, pillows, sleeping bags or heavy curtains.


Timber cannot be recycled as part of the collection scheme, it should ideally be reused or taken to your local recycling centre.


Food and drinks cans only can recycled in your green/black recycling box. Alternatively, they can be taken to your local recycling centre or recycling bank. We do not accept paint tins as part of the kerbside collection service.

Tissue paper

Although tissues are made of paper they are made of very short fibres which are not high enough quality to be recycled. Tissues should be placed in your black general waste bin.


Small waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) such as kettles, toasters and mobile phones can be recycled in your green/black recycling box. Loose cables (mobile phone and computer cables) can also be recycled. All items should be no larger than a standard-sized carrier bag

Toner cartridges

Some schools and charities collect empty toner and printer cartridges to raise funds. Alternatively, you can send your cartridges freepost to organisations such as The Recycling Factory who will then make a donation to the charity of your choice.​

Toxic waste

Examples of hazardous waste likely to come from a household are: car batteries, engine oil, garden chemicals, bleach or other strong cleaners/disinfectants, asbestos, gas bottles and solvents (including paint strippers/thinners). This list is not definitive, and if you have particular concerns about a type of waste you can contact the Environment Agency. All recycling centres will accept these items provided they are from households, except for asbestos.

Toys and games

Check to see if toys in good condition are wanted by charity shops, children's homes, play schools, hospitals and jumble sales.

Trade waste

North Devon Council operates a trade waste collection service. Trade waste and recycling has to be dealt with separately, trade recyclables (garden waste and cardboard) are chargeable by prior arrangement with Devon County Council at certain recycling sites.