Skip to content


Sacks and bags

Bags of unrecyclable household waste should be placed in your black general waste bin for collection.


If your pots and pans are in good condition, you may be able to donate them to charity. Alternatively, you should take them to your local recycling centre.

Scrap metals

Many metals can be re-used by the scrap metal industry. Either contact a local scrap merchant or take to your local recycling centre.


We operate a clinical waste collection service for sharps.


Clothes and textiles can be put in your green bag for recycling. We can accept dry, undamaged clothes, undamaged shoes (in pairs) and undamaged blankets and bedding sheets

Please note, unfortunately we can't take wet or worn-out clothes and shoes. We also can't accept duvets, pillows, sleeping bags or heavy curtains.

Shredded paper

Shredded paper should be placed in your green bag along with all other paper waste.

Smoke Alarms

Smoke alarms should not be disposed of in your black bin.  Household electrical items can be taken to your local recycling centre.  Many electrical retailers also offer a take back service when purchasing a new item - please ask in store


Soil can be taken to your nearest recycling centre. For more information please contact Devon County Council (who manage the sites) on 0345 155 1010. Please do not put soil in your garden waste bin.


Some opticians take old spectacles to send overseas for charitable purposes. Most accept them to support the Vision Aid Overseas scheme.


A selection of postage stamps, gift stamps and air mile stamps will be accepted at most charity shops.


Many metals can be re-used by the scrap metal industry. Either contact a local scrap merchant or take to your local recycling centre.


If the item is still usable, it could either be sold on or donated to a charity shop.  Most electrical items have a symbol of a crossed-out wheelie bin on them - these items should not be sent to landfill. If the item is beyond repair, we offer a chargeable bulky waste collection service or you can take it to a recycling centre.

Storage heaters

Storage Heaters containing asbestos may be disposed of free of charge at your local recycling centre, but must be booked in advance. The whole heater must be double wrapped in plastic and sealed. Please contact Devon County Council Waste Management on 0345 155 1010 to book

Sweet wrappers

Plastic film cannot be recycled and should be put in your black general waste bin.