Skip to content



Small waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) such as kettles, toasters and mobile phones. Loose cables (mobile phone and computer cables) can also be recycled. All items should be no larger than a standard-sized carrier bag


Hardcore and rubble can be taken to your nearest recycling centre. These items are chargeable and please contact Devon County Council who manage the sites.


Hardware including tools, door handles, tools cannot be recycled in your kurbside recycling but it can be taken to your local recycling centre.

Hay - including animal waste

You cannot take animal waste to recycling centres. We can collect this kind of waste with you normal domestic refuse providing this is of domestic quantity. Animal waste must not be put in the garden waste bin apart from that of herbivorous animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs and hamsters (providing all the waste and litter contents are compostable). This is due to the potential presence of pathogens in carnivorous animals' waste.

Hazardous waste

Examples of hazardous waste likely to come from a household are: car batteries, engine oil, garden chemicals, bleach or other strong cleaners/disinfectants, asbestos, gas bottles and solvents (including paint strippers/thinners). This list is not definitive, and if you have particular concerns about a type of waste you can contact the Environment Agency. All recycling centres will accept these items provided they are from households, except for asbestos (see A for Asbestos info).

Hoover dust

Please place vacuum dust in your black general waste bin for disposal.

Household chemicals

Chemicals, eg. weed killers, pesticides, white spirits, bleaches, old medicines and other household chemicals can be disposed of at your local recycling centre. Must be in a securely labelled container to be placed in the hazardous waste store. Limit 5 litres.