Skip to content


Egg boxes

Playgroups and schools may collect these for craft purposes or they can sometimes be returned back to the shop or farmer for reuse. 

Cardboard egg boxes can be recycled in the cardboard recycling banks at any of the recycling centres, or can go into your brown bag to be recycled.

Plastic egg boxes can be recycled in your recycling box alongside the rest of your household plastic packaging.

Electrical equipment

Small waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) such as kettles, toasters and mobile phones can be recycled in your green/black recycling box. Loose cables (mobile phone and computer cables) can also be recycled. All items should be no larger than a standard-sized carrier bag.

For large electrical equipment, if the item is still usable it could either be sold on or donated to a charity shop. Most electrical items have a symbol of a crossed-out wheelie bin on them - these items should not be sent to landfill. If the item is beyond repair, we can collect it as part of the bulky waste collection service which is an additional chargeable service or you can take it to a recycling centre.

Energy saving light bulbs

Old energy saving light bulbs should be taken to a recycling centre as they contain hazardous material.

Engine oil

It is illegal to pour down the drain or burn it. Engine oil from your own vehicle can be taken to a local recycling centre where it is recycled, or you can contact your local garage who should be able to take it off you.


Car parts from your own car can be accepted at your local recycling centre. You are advised to contact the site in advance to confirm whether they will be able to accept your waste.


White envelopes (with or without windows) can be recycled in your green bag. 

Brown envelopes (with or without windows) can be recycled with your cardboard in your brown bag.


This includes any items which could potentially be explosive and includes ammunition. Please contact your local police station. Household waste recycling centres cannot accept waste of this type under any circumstances. It poses a risk to site staff and members of the public. Weapons should never be destroyed or disposed of by their owners. Every weapon needs to be accounted for and the police authority that issued the certificate must be informed as to what has happened to the weapon. Unwanted section 1 ammunition can be disposed of through another authorised firearm certificate holder, Registered Firearms Dealer, your target shooting club or surrendered at any police station.