Government Council Tax Energy Rebate
One-Off Government Council Tax Energy Rebate
The Government has provided a £150 one-off council tax rebate for most households in council tax bands A-D. Those households who pay by direct debit will have received their payment directly into their bank account. The remaining eligible households will have now received a letter from the Post Office, to redeem the amount via a voucher.
If you have received the post office voucher, but have not yet redeemed it, you still have until the end of August to do so. If you do not redeem your voucher by the end of August, we will apply the £150 reduction on your council tax bill during September.
Discretionary Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme
The government has provided some additional discretionary funding to local authorities to support households suffering financial hardship because of the rising cost in living.
The purpose of the discretionary scheme is to:
- support those households not eligible for the main Council Tax Energy Bill Rebate scheme, and
- provide additional support to our most vulnerable households in bands A to D
Who is eligible for a payment from the Discretionary Rebate Scheme?
- Properties in Council Tax bands A to D at the 1 April 2022 whose occupants aren't liable to pay council tax but are responsible for energy bills can apply for help through this scheme. Please email email@example.com with the reason you feel you should receive help and provide a copy of your last month’s bank statement, together with evidence you are the energy payer
- Council tax payers who live in bands A to D at the 1 April 2022, are working age and receive council tax reduction will automatically receive a ‘top-up’ payment via Post Office voucher during August 2022. This payment is being made in conjunction with the Household Support Fund. Please do not contact us to apply, we will automatically send you the voucher
- Council tax payers who live in bands E to H at the 1 April 2022 and receive council tax reduction, will automatically receive a payment of £150 via Post Office Voucher during August 2022. This payment is being made in conjunction with the Household Support Fund. Please do not contact us to apply, we will automatically send you the voucher
- Council tax payers who live in bands E to H at the 1 April 2022 and do not receive council tax reduction, can apply for help through this scheme. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the reason you feel you should receive help and provide a copy of your last month’s bank statement
Discretionary Energy Rebate awards and refusals are not made or limited by legislation and do not carry any right of review or appeal to the authority or any Tribunal or Court.
Who is eligible for assistance from the Discretionary Rebate Scheme?
See the four bullet points above; the majority will receive a letter directly from the Post Office which can be taken to any Post Office in the area and redeemed for cash. Those who need to apply can do so by emailing email@example.com with the necessary evidence as outlined above.
When are the vouchers being sent out?
To avoid large queues at the Post Office, vouchers will be issued in batches. All vouchers will be sent out during August 2022.
How long do I have to redeem my voucher?
You have 6 weeks to redeem your voucher. If not redeemed in time the voucher will be cancelled.
Who can redeem the voucher?
Anyone named on the letter can claim the payment providing they have consent from all members of the household.
Where can I redeem the voucher?
The letter has a barcode you can use to pick up your cash payment from any Post Office branch. It doesn’t have to be the one nearest to you.
I cannot get to a Post Office to cash my voucher
You can nominate someone to collect the payment on your behalf. The nominated person must take the voucher, your ID and a signed letter giving your authority to pay the nominated person, to the Post Office. The nominated person should also take a form of ID.
I have lost my letter
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details, advising you have lost your original letter. You will be advised how to obtain your payment.
I do not have any of the required ID
You can request a copy of your council tax bill by emailing email@example.com. Please do this as soon as possible. The bill will be sent in the post within ten working days.
Any queries regarding this scheme, please call Customer Services on (01271) 327711.