Prior approval of a proposed larger home extension
For a period of six years, between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2019, householders will be able to build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development.
The size limits will double from four metres to eight metres for detached houses, and from three metres to six metres for any other type of house outside Article 2 (3) land and sites of special scientific interest.
To benefit from these permitted development rights, the extension must be completed on or before 30 May 2019. The developer must notify us in writing of the date of completion.
You can find out whether you need permission for your building project by viewing the Planning Portal's interactive house.
The following items are needed for all applications - there is no fee in connection with this process
• Application form and ownership certificate
• Location plan (scale 1:2500 or 1:1250) with site outlined in red
• Block plan (scale 1:500) or Site Plan (scale 1:200) – if the proposal will alter an existing building footprint or create a new building footprint
• Wildlife trigger list (and if required wildlife report)
• Developers contact address and email
Further information about this type of application is available on the Planning Portal.