image - corner image

Housing benefit and council tax support

Changes to council tax support

From 1 April 2013 council tax support scheme (CTS) replaced council tax benefit. The new scheme requires everyone of working age to pay something towards their council tax bill.

Housing benefit and council tax support

People who have to pay rent and/or council tax can claim benefit. You may qualify if you are on income support or a low income. Application forms are available from Civic Centre, Citizens Advice, Ilfracombe Centre, Amory Centre. You can download a form from the link below or fill in our form to request one and we will send it to you.

If you have a family please contact the Child and Working Tax Credit help line on 0845 300 3900.

If you have a change in your work pattern or if you have been signed off sick, you may be entitled to claim other benefits. Each case will be looked at individually. For further advice please contact:

Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)external website
Telephone: 0845 603 6095

Council tax support scheme consultation results

Contact information

To contact the Benefits Team:

Telephone: 01271 388877
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.30pm


Twitter logo Join the conversation on Twitterexternal website

Face to face:

GOV.UK - replacing DirectGov and Business Link
GOV.UKexternal site the best place to find government services and information.
Cookie compliance
alert to users
How we use cookies. How to change your settings.
Fix this page
Service not Working? See our Translation page.