image - corner image

Gambling Act 2005 - occasional use notice

Roulette Wheel

Occasional use notice

Where there is betting on a track on eight days or less in a calendar year, betting may be permitted by an occasional use notice (OUN) without the need for a full premises licence.

The following information provides guidance in respect of OUN's, advice is also provided by the Gambling Commission.

The meaning of 'track' covers not just horse race courses or dog tracks, but also any other premises on any part of which a race or other sporting event takes place. Land which has a number of uses, for example agricultural land upon which a point-to-point meeting takes place, can qualify for OUN provisions. The track need not be a permanent fixture.

The intention is to permit licensed betting operators (with appropriate permission from the commission) to use tracks for short periods for conducting betting, where the event is of a temporary, infrequent nature.

The OUN dispenses with the need for a betting premises licence for the track in these circumstances.

OUN's may not be relied upon for more than eight days in a given calendar year.

The giving of notice

A notice must be served by a person who is responsible for the administration of events on the track or by an occupier of the track.

The notice must be served on the licensing authority and copied to the chief officer of police for the area in which the track is located. The notice must specify the day on which it has effect.

Notices may be given in relation to consecutive days, so long as the overall limit of eight days is not exceeded in any calendar year.

Chief officer of police

A copy of the notice should be sent to:

Devon and Cornwall Police Licensing Department
Devon and Cornwall Police HQ

Telephone: 01392 452225
Fax: 01392 452447


Provided that the notice will not result in betting facilities being available for more that eight days in any calendar year, there is no provision for counter-notices (the police) or objections to be submitted. This means that the notice is deemed as satisfactory and the event can proceed.

The licensing authority will acknowledge satisfactory receipt in the above situation.

An event that does not meet the above criteria will be rejected and will be unable to proceed.


There is no fee for an occasional use notice.

Application forms


Notice period - whilst the Gambling Act 2005 does not require a minimum notice period to serve an OUN on the Licensing and Police Authorities, we would appreciate at least 5 working days before the planned event.


Current notices and those previously given can be viewed on the public register.

Further information

Contact information

To contact the Customer Service Centre:

Telephone: 01271 388870
For Typetalk: precede with 18001
Text: 07624 804042
Fax: 01271 388451
Web form: send us a web enquiry
Join the conversation on Twitterexternal website
Compliment, complaint or suggestion? Your feedback

Our office hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.

Licence applications, notices etc should be sent to:

The Licensing Team
Environmental Health and Housing
North Devon Council
Civic Centre
North Walk
EX31 1EA

GOV.UK - replacing DirectGov and Business Link
GOV.UKexternal site the best place to find government services and information.
Cookie compliance
alert to users
How we use cookies. How to change your settings.
Fix this page
Service not Working? See our Translation page.