image - corner image


The Licensing team provides the main licensing/registration function for North Devon Council. Much of the work of the team is statutory, that is a legislative requirement and centres around the protection of public health.

The team regulates many commercial activities for the reasons described above, and aims to work in partnership with the commercial sector/service providers to ensure co-operation and development of a good working relationship.

Customer Charter

Further information regarding Environmental Health and Housing's Service Standards and Customer Information regarding requests for service received and our performance against targets.

Interactive licensing web pages external website: provides access to public registers - see individual toolkits below for online applications through GOV.UKexternal website.

Please note (especially with regard to online applications)

See notes towards the bottom of this page regarding application forms and especially before completing an online application (from within the relevant toolkits), as well as what to do if you have a consumer complaint.

photo - drinks on a table
Licensing Act 2003 toolkit

photo - alcohol free sign
Alcohol Free Zones toolkit

Roulette Wheel
Gambling Act 2005 toolkit

Taxi licensing toolkit
Taxi and private hire toolkit

Animal Licensing Toolkit
Animal licensing toolkit

Pleasure boats and boatman toolkit
Pleasure boats and boatman toolkit

Campsite (tents only) toolkit
Campsite (tents) licence toolkit

Caravan campsite licence toolkit
Caravan camp site licence toolkit

Charities toolkit
Charities toolkit

HMO licensing toolkit
Houses in multiple occupancy (HMO) licensing toolkit

Hypnotism toolkit
Hypnotism licence toolkit

Scrap Metal and Motor Salvage Toolkit
Scrap metal dealer toolkit

Sex establishment toolkit
Sex establishment toolkit

Skin piercing toolkit
Skin piercing toolkit

Street trading picture
Street trading toolkit

Most licences require the payment of an application/registration fee.

Application forms

Please note that the forms are currently designed for either online completion or to be printed out and then completed manually. Word and pdf formats are available.

In parts, the Word forms have drop down options to the right of the relevant field, for example application type. Please ensure that the correct option is chosen.

When making an application, we recommend that you keep either a paper copy of your application or save a copy electronically.

The licensing procedures contained on this website are for guidance only, for further details please contact us on 01271 388870 or email In some circumstances it may be necessary for you to seek your own independent legal advice.

EU Services Directive (online applications)

logo - EU-GO portal

EUGO Portal

The Council has implemented the EU Services Directive External link, which is under the brand of EUGO - this is a national logo, as well as being used by the other EU States.

The Directive was implemented on 28 December 2009, providing online access for the electronic submission of applications and other documentation without the need for a 'wet' signature.

Those licence toolkits above that are within scope of the Directive will have the EUGO logo as well as a direct link to the relevant GOV.UK web pages for making an online application.

If you are setting up/running a business in the UK, but are based oversees from another EU state, you may find the Set up a business in the UK External link guide useful, in addition to the Council's own web pages.

Members of the public may still download the application forms on the toolkit web pages and hand them into the Customer Service Centre making the appropriate payment; or post them with the appropriate fee if they prefer.


As part of the online application, you can also now pay for any relevant fee (s) by debit/credit card. See also note above regarding payment options via the Customer Service Centre - telephone number 01271 388870. Payment can be made separate to the online application if preferred, although please advise the Team that an online application has been made and that the Licensing Team should be advised accordingly.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Alternatively, you may complain to the council, who will investigate if appropriate and feedback on your behalf

Complain about a licensed premises

Other permits/registrations

Contact information

To contact the Customer Service Centre:

Telephone: 01271 388870
For Typetalk: precede with 18001
Text: 07624 804042
Fax: 01271 388451
Web form: send us a web enquiry
Join the conversation on Twitterexternal website
Compliment, complaint or suggestion? Your feedback

Our office hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.

Licence applications, notices etc should be sent to:

The Licensing Team
Environmental Health and Housing
North Devon Council
Civic Centre
North Walk
EX31 1EA

GOV.UK - replacing DirectGov and Business Link
GOV.UKexternal site the best place to find government services and information.
Cookie compliance
alert to users
How we use cookies. How to change your settings.
Fix this page
Service not Working? See our Translation page.