Pleasure boat licences
If you want to operate a pleasure boat or pleasure vessel carrying passengers for hire, you must obtain a pleasure boat licence.
If you want to be in charge of or navigate a pleasure boat, you must obtain a pleasure boatman licence.
For either of these licences, you will also need to:
- meet the points highlighted in our guidance notes on pleasure boat and boatman licences (pdf 189KB)
- pay the appropriate application fee
There are conditions linked to both these licences. These highlight a number of standard conditions such as where operation is permitted, during which hours and the number of passengers to be carried. However, other conditions may be placed on your licence depending on the type of vessel you have.
- Notify us of a change of circumstances
- Information on the competency assessment for boatmen (pdf 21KB)
- Certificate of seaworthiness (pdf 30KB)
- MCA Seafarer Medical Report Form and Certificate (pdf 687KB)
- Pleasure boat and pleasure vessel equipment standards (pdf 22KB)