Health and safety at work
We investigate health and safety complaints about workplaces in North Devon and reportable accidents, dangerous incidents and reportable diseases.
These workplaces include:
- shops and offices
- hotels and catering
- sports and leisure
- residential care homes
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is responsible for inspecting mainly industrial businesses such as:
- building sites
- mines and quarries
- chemical plant
Find out more about enforcement allocation on the HSE website.
We use a number of intervention approaches to regulate and influence businesses in the management of health and safety risks in the district, including:
- providing advice and guidance to individual businesses and groups
- proactive interventions, including inspections
- reactive interventions, such as investigating accidents, dangerous occurrences, notifiable diseases or complaints
Find out more about our enforcement work on the HSE website.
Health and safety standards
You must ensure that your business meets the necessary health and safety standards. You can find more information on these standards on the HSE website.
- Download a Safer Workplace Better Business pack (in partnership with Torbay council)
- Carry out a Health and Safety self-assessment (pdf 197KB). Complete and sign your assessment and send it to the Health and safety team
- Use our quick checklist for health and safety and fire safety (pdf 88KB)
- Risk management
- Free leaflets from the HSE
- Read our Health and safety service plan (pdf 522KB)
- NDC Enforcement Policy (pdf 83KB)